How Sunless Works
The ingredient that tans your skin is dihydroxyacetone (DHA), a color less sugar that interacts with dead skin cells to create the tanned color. The DHA causes a chemical reaction with the proteins in the outer most layers of the skin, which causes the color of the skin to change, producing a beautiful natural tan.
A spray tan does not dye the skin; the immediate color you see when your tan is applied is a color guide or bronzer that helps the technician not miss any sections and allows you to instantly see your tan. The DHA starts to react with the skin within 1 hour of the tan application and continues to do so for a total of 8 hours.
A spray gun is used to spray a combination of air and tanning solution directly onto the skin, which dries almost immediately. In less than 15 minutes you can have a flawless tan that will develop over the next 4 to 12 hours.
MAKE YOUR AIRBRUSH TAN LOOK BETTER AND LAST LONGER!
Enhance the effectiveness of sunless spray tanning by conditioning your skin for maximum results. Then take steps to help maintain your tan.
PREPARING FOR YOUR UV-FREE TAN
The Day Before Your Appointment (These items can be performed day of tan)
- – Exfoliate the day before you treatment to remove dry, flaky skin that causes uneven tanning
- – We suggest Norvell Sea Salt Body Scrub 24 hours before your tanning session
- – If you are exfoliating within the 24 hour period just use a mild exfoliant such as a loofah or daily body scrub
- – Shave the day before your tan
The Day of Your Appointment
- – Your skin should be clean
- – You should remove all makeup
- – DO NOT apply lotions or perfumes prior to getting sprayed
- – Use deodorant very sparingly
WHAT TO WEAR DURING YOUR UV-FREE TANNING SESSION
Our staff is professional and experienced and you may wear or not wear whatever you choose.
- – The DHA solution should wash out of most clothing
- – Males are required to wear some sort of underwear
- – Wear loose fitting clothing for afterwards. Tight clothes can rub off the DHA bronzer and smear the cosmetic bronzer. We recommend loose shorts, and a loose fitting t-shirt (DO NOT WEAR JEANS)
- – If it is going to rain, please come prepared! Bring an umbrella, wear loose-fitting long sleeves and pants, and DO NOT wear sandals.
MAINTAINING YOUR UV-FREE TAN
- – Immediately after your spray tanning session avoid activities that may cause you to sweat excessively
- – Use the air conditioning in your car on a hot day
- – Important: You must avoid water entirely for at least four hours or you will stop the tanning action of the DHA!
- – Ideally, wait at 8-12 hours (or more) before showering or bathing with any kind of soap
- – If you absolutely must shower before the 12 hour period, wait at least four hours, then use plain water only to allow your tan to continue to develop
- – The ‘‘instant color’’ cosmetic bronzer will wash off in the shower just as it is designed to do
- – Avoid swimming for 24 hours
- – ARUBA TAN OFFERS A FULL LINE OF SUNLESS TANNING RELATED PRODUCTS DESIGNED TO HELP YOUR UV-FREE TAN LOOK BETTER AND LAST LONGER. ASK ABOUT OUR MAINTENANCE PRODUCTS TO MAKE YOUR TAN LOOK ITS VERY BEST!